The Bad News
There is a price to pay to become or be a Christian.
- “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels." (Luke 9:23-26)
- "Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Mathew 10:37, Luke 14:26 )
- "So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:33)
- "Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him." (John 12:25-26)
- Yet another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.” (Luke 9:61-62)
Who then can be saved? Jesus was asked this question as well when he was on earth. A rich young men approached him and said: “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments: Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth.” And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. (Mark 10:17-22)
If you thought being a Christian was easy, that it is just joining a church and attending Sunday service, you are mistaken. My friend, being a Christian means denying yourself and following a new teacher Jesus Christ. Are you ready to pay the price? Do not be fooled by other preachers who offer you another way which is easy and does not include the "Bad News" of the Gospel. There is only one Gospel and it cannot be cherry picked. Either you accept all or nothing.
Let's say you are like the rich man who came to Jesus and went away sad because he was not willing to give up everything. I understand you fully. I was that man as well. When I came to Jesus he told me what you can read here as well. I was a spoiled young man unwilling to give up my life for Jesus' sake. I went away sad. I was not saved but faced hell. However, Jesus in his great mercy called me a second time a couple of years later. By then I had learned to hate my life, partly because I knew that godless living ends in hell. When Jesus called me a second time, I was willing to follow him and give up my old life. May the Lord be merciful and give you this change of heart as well.
Maybe you have not heard this when other preachers talked about the Gospel. Maybe you have gone to church for many years and you are not aware of these sayings of Jesus. I am sorry that you did not hear that from the beginning. Jesus says that there will be many false preachers who will deceive people. Right now there are people who make a fortune selling their sermons. There are preachers who are more interested in making money than giving you an honest account of the teaching of Jesus. On TBN you can hear and see preachers who live in luxury and pretend to hear Jesus. Dear reader, now you hear Jesus telling you the true cost of being a Christian. Do not be deceived. There is no easy way to heaven.
Go to Jesus Christ, he gives you an honest and true account of how you get to heaven. And he says:
“Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh. Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.
There are Christian preachers who live luxurious lives. Do not follow their footsteps. Follow Jesus. He is the one who will judge according to what he said in his Word.
Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.